To briefly explain our production process : we have 15 people working with us in the studio
– we get our clay in powder form and make it up in up ourselves (we use a white earthernware clay)
– all items are either hand-cast in moulds or made on the wheel
– each item is bisque-fired to 1000deg cel.
– then each item is decorated and glaze-fired to 1180 deg cel.
– those items with words on them are then fired for a 3rd time to 800deg cel.
So this is a very labour intensive process (about 10 pairs of hands are involved in the making of each item) – hence the lead time.