Tips to eliminate energy waste
We hope that the following tips (from Eskom) give you some ideas on how to eliminate energy waste in your establishment
- Check your hot water pipe insulation and geyser settings. Turn down the hot water by a few degrees or turn off hot water tanks for a few hours per day.
- Replace lamps with compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs).
- Replace traditional showerheads with aerated showerheads.
- Promote showering over bathing as this uses less water and saves energy.
- Switch off unnecessary lighting and lights in areas that do not need to be lit on a regular basis.
- Restaurant or dining – room lights should be switched off when it is closed.
- Plan shutdown of rooms as per inventory requirements. This means filling up the hotel floor – by – floor and shutting down the remaining rooms that are not in use.
- Outside lights should be fitted with a motion sensor and care should be taken that these are not on during daylight hours.
- Heating, ventilation and air – conditioning (HVAC) systems must be kept closed in air-conditioned areas.
- Reschedule non – critical operations to off peak times: 10pm – 6am or on weekends.
- Heated swimming pools should be covered with a thermal blanket when not in use.
- All appliances in meal preparation areas should be switched off when not in use and care must be taken not to leave fridge or cold room doors open